Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Beginning of my Quilting Craze

As I said yesterday, I finished my first quilt!  I'm so excited...and addicted.  After I bought my new sewing machine, I knew I for sure wanted to begin quilting right away, but I didn't know that much about it.  I would be learning as I go.  So, I used a very simple YouTube video from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.

Here's the video...




The cutting and piecing is so simple if you watch the video.  Luckily I finished that part right before Spring Break and was in Houston for my mom to help me finish! We used about 5 yards or so for the backing (I got a good deal on Origins fabric for the back from the Fort Worth Fabric Studio.  Great customer service and I will definitely be buying from them again!).  I decided not to put a border on it because I loved the size of the quilt without it.  It's the perfect size for snuggling.

Here's a couple of photos of us laying it out at my parents' house as we were situating the batting and backing (so you can get a good look at the finished design).



Then came Mom to the rescue to do the actual quilting part.  And, here's the finished project...




Here's a sneak peak of the quilt that I am currently working on...

For this, I am using 1 Moda Jelly Roll (Central Park), and the turquoise triangles are made from some super cute fabric that I bought at JoAnn's.  The pattern is called "Dripping Diamonds" and it's in this great book.

2 comments:

  1. Very very nice quilt! It's like a rail fence - great beginner quilt. It will be perfect for snuggling up with. Your dog likes to get in on the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marcia! It was such a fun project! And yes, that's Sully...my rescue puppy. He loves snuggling up with me under my quilt too!

    ReplyDelete