Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Interchangable Wreath

I cannot believe I have not blogged a craft in almost a year!  What's wrong with me?!  I recently got bit by the craft bug again, and have a million ideas....so, I'm back!  My good friend, Jennifer, and I decided we would start crafting together!  I'm so excited to have someone to craft with!  We got together this week and tackled our first project...and interchangeable wreath! 

Here's a quick look at the finished project:


Darling, right?  You're probably wondering, "What's interchangeable?" You'd never guess this, but the whole flower part is glued to a strip of burlap, which is just stuck to the wreath using velcro. So, literally, the possibilities are endless. You could make them for various holidays, color schemes, etc...

Ok, you're going to have to bear with me as I go through the steps.  I got out of the habit of craft-blogging and didn't take pictures of every single step.

You will need the following supplies (for one wreath--obviously more if you're planning on making more than one at a time):
  • 1 grapevine wreath (about 3.99 from Hobby Lobby)
  • about a 1/4 yard of tan burlap 
  • a little bit of green burlap (not much at all per wreath)
  • fabric (You will be making 9 petals...so you can use all the same, 9 different, or whatever you feel like making. Each petal is about the size of your hand, so the amount of fabric depends on how many petals you make of each type of fabric.  Now that I've thoroughly confused you....just buy way too much fabric like I did and let's move on.)
  • Floral wire (the thicker the better)
  • burlapy twine (that's a term I made up)
  • ribbon to match your fabric
  • hot glue
  • velcro
  • an old file folder or cardstock to make a pattern out of
  • Aloe Vera--if you're anything like Jennifer and I with a hot glue gun!!  
Make a pattern for your petals. The largest one (for the burlap) is about the size of your hand. The smaller one is about 1/2 inch smaller all around (this is for your fabric). The smallest pattern is for your leaves.


Trace these onto your fabric and cut out.  Again, you'll need 9 petals and about 7 leaves.  The leaves didn't make it into the picture below, but they're cut out of the green burlap.

Notice the edges are not perfect. The imperfections will give it more of a handmade/rustic look...in other words, it will make it "super-cute" in the end.


Lay your wreath out and cut a strip of burlap that will be the base of your flower petals.  Don't glue it on....just lay it on the wreath to get a good idea.

Also, glue the bottoms of each petal together. (See picture below)


 Then, start placing them on the wreath in whatever pattern you like.  Make sure some point up and some point down. Hot glue every petal onto your burlap strip.



Now, add ribbon (loops, not bows work best).  Again, hot glue everything to the burlap and to the other petals, but nothing to the wreath!


Now, cut and glue the bottoms of all of your leaves and stick them in too with your hot glue. (Sorry, here's where I slacked on my picture taking!)

Also, cut strips of floral wire about 2 1/2-3 inches long. (No pictures of this process either. Sorry!) Wrap the burlapy twine around it all the way down.  Make a few layers at the top, so that it's a bit thicker.  Hard to explain in words...look at the picture below...

Products to use:
Glue one twig thing inside each petal:
Cute, huh?

Now, just glue the velcro to the back of your burlap strip and to the wreath....and voila....


This craft is addicting!  I already bought material for my second set of petals...

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love it! I was so much fun to make!! I have the stuff to make my next one, too. I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete